As the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival approaches, I always prepare a mental list of foods I must try. As I am only going one day this year (damn the tickets are getting pricey) I figured that maybe a mental list won't cut it; I'll have to write everything down. Since I am writing it down, I might as well put it online.
Every year, I run in and grab three things almost immediately. These are:
1. Prejan's Quail, Pheasant, and Andouille Gumbo - This is the best gumbo on the entire planet. It is better than Antoine's, Arnaud's, and Commanders. It makes me cry tears of joy.
2. Cafe Reconcile's Strawberry Lemonade - It is what the name says it is, and I thank God that Jazzfest happens during strawberry season, because this is the best tasting Lemonade in the world, and nothing save one from the heat like a large glass of this wonderful stuff.
3. Creole's Stuffed Bread - I'll grab one of these pouches of deliciousness on my way in, but I grab 5 or 6 on my way out the fest. I then vacuum pack them and freeze them as soon as I get home. They still taste amazing 3 or 4 months later heated in the oven.
Other items that are not on my immediate list, but I like to grab while I'm there include:
4. Canseco's Cuban Sandwich - not rare, but this is the best one in NOLA.
5. WWOZ's Mango Freeze - The best dessert at a festival know worldwide for its food is made by a radio station.
6. Anything that the food stage is serving.
7. Natchitoches Meat Pie - best meat pie around.
8. Crawfish Monica - I love this pasta. Click Here for a copycat recipe. (Added, due to initial omission)
Let everyone know which foods you can't miss at Jazz Fest in the comments.